Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Jorge Reyes & Francisco Lopez - UAISCM4: Tialoc (tape, Obuh Records, 1991)


Although I usually don't post many things by the same artists in few days apart, I here post another tape by Francisco Lopez, this time in collaboration with Mexican artist Jorge Reyes. The reason for posting is, besides of course it being a lost classic, is the fact that Jorge Reyes died last saturday of heart failure at the age of 56. I met him a couple of times and saw him play his great music, using all sorts of pre columbian musical instruments as well as using his body for percussion purposes. He was a kind and gentle person. Lopez here plays stones, electronic treatments, tape manipulations, recording and mixing. Nice music for this sad day.

download

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad news. Jorge Reyes was one of my favorite ethno ambiant misician.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, and thank you all the more so for this very sad news about Jorge Reyes passing. I can't find any other report of it anywhere on the internet. His output was far too sporadic for those of us who were nourished by his organic, original "future primitive" sound. He was not widely acclaimed as the pioneer he was, and I'm grateful that Steve Roach was his collaborator & the champion who brought my attention (and I presume many others) to his solo works. This made me go out & buy a copy of his last release that I know of that I failed to obtain sooner.
Peace...

Anonymous said...

muchas gracias de mexico. me encanta jorge reyes.

M— said...

Thanks for breaking the news. Not much else out there on it, though Steve Roach has posted a tribute and some further links.

If anyone wants to hear more, a couple of his best albums are now up as a tribute on our Friendsound blog - http://friendsound.wordpress.com

Stefan M—

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for this obscurity. It isn't listed in Lopez' official discography, but it's a very nice collaboration between the two musicians.