Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A-Soma & Eve Libertine - Last One Out Turns Off The Lights (LP, Red Herring Records RH1, 1989)


Bronwen Jones is the real name of Eve Libertine, who is best known as one of the female singers of Crass, one of my favorite UK punk bands. When somebody once gave me this record, I was quite surprised by its content. No punk at all, but spoken word in combination with 'field recordings', although I don't think the word was used back then.

"'Last One Out Turns Off The Lights' is a performance of sounds and spoken words with occasional visual interaction. It is presented to an audience situated in darkness. This record which is a document of the event might also be listened to in this way.' Subtitled '(Collage - Composition - Documentation)'.
Track A2 composed entirely from unsampled natural sound sources."

I have no idea who or what A-Soma is. Libertine still performs music and poetry with former Crass members Penny Rimbaud and Gee Vaucher, but it's free improv and jazz like. I guess more modern than regular punk.

download

2 comments:

ONECHORD said...

this redord is simply amazing. a really great find and, of course, many thanks for sharing it. no words to describe my joy.

keep doing so great job!

Anonymous said...

I used to have this. Got rid of it along with a load of other lps over the years I wish I'd kept. Thanks for uploading this.